Water impacts everything: World is made up of 70% water
- The world is made up of 70% of water
- 2,5 % is fresh water
- 2/3 of world’s fresh water is locked in icecaps & glaciers
- Less than 0.008% is ready to be used
- Half of the worlds 500 major rivers are contaminated or depleted
Money, it shouldn’t be a factor:
- Water is 400 billion dollar industry, the 3rd largest after oil & electricity
- The UN estimates that it would cost 30 billion dollars to provide safe drinking water to our planet. That is a 1/3 of what the world spends in a year on bottled water.
- For every $1 invested in water and sanitation, the United Nations Development Programme estimates a return of up to $9, depending on the region and technology.
Help women and children follow their dreams:
- 6000 children die every day from diseases related to lack of safe drinking water.
- Average distance to collect safe water is 6 km in Africa & Asia
- 10’s of millions of children do not go to school as they fetch water 3 times a day.
- In just one day, 200 million work hours are consumed by women collecting water for their families. This lost productivity is greater than the combined number of hours worked in a week by employees at Walmart, United Parcel Service, McDonald's, IBM, Target, and Kroger.
* all data has been compiled from United Nations Development reports, World Health Organisation fact sheets or water.org