Clean water in cheese production
Clean water essential for better quality in cheese production:
At the process stage ”water addition” in the cheese vat, where 10-15% fresh water (public/municipal, own well, tap water) is added. Cottage cheese produced in Denmark is made with water that has been treated in the BacTerminator® system, regardless of the water being municipal tap water or well water.
This has increased the shelf life and improved product quality; no growth in microorganisms towards the end of the 21 days shelf life.
Savings on pasteurization of water:
- Electricity cost - BacTerminator: ~ 3€cts/m³
- Electricity cost - pasteurization: ~ 30€cts/m³
- Savings on water consumption through reuse of cheese cooling water 1 – 4 days
Improved killing of bacteria:
- BacTerminator >99 % (~ 3€cts/m3)
- High pasteurization 98-99 %
- Low pasteurization 97-98 %
For more dairy applications, please see dairy industry.